I’m currently working as an independent contractor for a company (in addition to my full time job) and recently they reached out about a full time opportunity.
After deciding to continue the process, and getting answers that I don’t love about the company and role (and them avoiding sending me the benefits package after sending a job offer), I’ve decided to decline the offer.
I don’t want to mess up my relationship with them, as it is a great role and they are great people to work with just working as a contractor. But, I’m concerned they expected me to take the job offer and will be upset that I didn’t back out of the process earlier.
How would you approach this? I’m planning on thanking them for the opportunity and saying that the role and the move involved just isn’t a right fit for me at this time but not sure if there’s a better way.